Samuraidoctor: What's on my mind.

Thoughts on a broad range of subjects that have been exercising my brain lately. Mostly medical, but who knows?

Name:

Somebody's mother. Sigh.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Quickie post

Just a quick post before I go off to work. Had a real day yesterday. Several people just didn't show up, which is unusual. Nuts, there goes my productivity. On the other hand, I was much closer to running on time, at least in the afternoon.

My Mondays are very busy days. I usually have a full slate of patients, and then have a meeting to run at noon. I was pretty relaxed going into the day yesterday, because it was supposed to be the all clinician meeting, which, interestingly enough, I'm not involved with running. I say it's interesting because I'm the Chief of Physician Services, so you'd think I would be intimately involved, but that generally isn't the case. Yesterday, the meeting was cancelled and suddenly it was mine to run.

Meanwhile, I decided to admit one of the patients I was seeing in the office straight to the hospital, right about the time I was running the meeting. I spent half the time answering the phone and trying to write orders for his admission. Alan, my boss, stayed to explain our conflict of interest policy, which let me off the hook for the firt half hour. After that, I had to race through a description of how to make a chief complaint. In a way, this was a good thing, because the last time I planned a meeting to discuss this, we got bumped by a physician interview. I really need the help of my colleagues in customizing, because there's just too much to do it all on my own.

Alan grabbed me to talk to me about some issues, in the hall. We have been going through the annual review process, which also includes planning for the next year. I got everything done right on time, but then sent it to HR, not realizing that the next step was to send it to Alan. I've been a manager now since May, but every time they have a new manager orientation, something has come up so I can't make it. I hadn't realized how much a problem that would be until now--when I don't know the proper process to go through! I had thought I had gotten everything rerouted properly, but apparently Alan hasn't received it, so I'm going to have to get a whole bunch of signatures all over again and just sent it to him. Urg.

I think Alan and I don't communicate enough. It's a real issue. He's only here on Mondays, when I'm doing my headless chicken thing, and barely have time to say hello to him. He relies on email to contact me, which would be great, except I'm so damned busy, I almost never get to my work email. I think I'm going to have to set up a telephone conference with him on Fridays or something so he can keep me updated on his expectations of me. I also need to press to find out when the next new manager meeting is, so I can make sure I'm able to actually attend.

So, where does the time go? That's what I want to know. There just never seems to be enough to do everything that needs to be done. I'm really looking forward to that time management course, if I can find the time to actually schedule it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home